Monday, September 24, 2012

Going Outlaw: From Minors to Majors




By: Stormy Weather OMC
Club Name With held upon request

In baseball, before most players’ can play in the big leagues, they must first go through what’s called the minor leagues. Essentially the minors are a place for young talented players’ to develop their skills and get used to playing at a higher level.  The MC world is like this in a lot of ways.  Before a person goes full on Outlaw they usually spend some time in a family club, riding club, mom and pop whatever you would like to call it.  Most outlaw bikers have been in previous minor league clubs until one day they decide enough is enough and go full on Majors.

For anyone who thinks this blog will dive deep into the inner workings of the Outlaw lifestyle and procedures for entry into an OMC, you can stop reading now and kick fucking rocks. This isn't an expose into our life.  What this blog is going to do is give you a straight fast ball with no splitter or curve and if you have the skills, you can try to connect and see where it gets you.

Right now, there is someone reading this blog thinking of moving from the mom and pop club level    (the Minors) and into the “Major Leagues”…The big bad OMC!  And to that person I say congrats. You finally grew a pair and now you wanna do something about it. But what would bring someone to this point? There are many reasons why a person would want to make the move up but I will only discuss the two most common.  First being they are currently in a “Sucka MC”.  Now let me take a moment to elaborate on the Sucka MC.  A Sucka MC is a club …not a motorcycle club because for one, they don’t all own motorcycles, but a club that does not know, follow or practice motorcycle club traditions and protocols.   They cannot answer simple questions like who blessed off your club, what type of club are you, what is the purpose of your club, so on and so forth. I’m not saying that these clubs are made up of certain individuals who can eventually can become major leaguers (outlaws) but collectively as a whole they’re just sucka’s. For example you have a team like the Boston Red Sox who have some really good players but collectively, they’re whack and their record shows that they're suckas. I’m sure there are certain players thinkin’, “I need to go to the Yankees.”  

My decision to go to the "Yankees" was a simple one not because I thought the outlaw lifestyle would be simple but because the depravity I saw in the circuit made it simple. Like most, I was involved in a club and my disgust with them was so overwhelming I decided that there was no logical reason I'd ever put my ass in position to experience something that bad again. I am a biker. I was born a biker and you join a club thinking you're about to be around other bikers. Maybe it was me making an ass of myself assuming they'd take the club and the life as seriously as me so in that regard I'll say, "my bad." I didn't understand why club members just got together on weekends, if that, but Monday through Friday wasn't an option. I didn't understand why the priority of the club at meetings was figuring out what the next party was going to be instead of the next (or in some cases the first) long ride. I didn't understand why certain people had bikes but others didn't. I didn't understand why people were allowed to trail their bikes to bike events. I didn't understand why the promise to uphold the bylaws of the club was seen as something you could opt in and out of to your pleasure. You see where I'm going with all this? I understand MC. I didn't understand jack shit about what they were doing and what made it worse, when I tried to move them in that direction I was called, "the hardliner" or I was repeatedly told, "I take this too seriously."

I take this too seriously?

It was then I started to understand that for them it was a recreational thing sorta like seasonal swimming. I"m not a seasonal biker. New York Yankee fan's don't think they're gong to the playoffs every year; they EXPECT to win the World Series every year. The playoffs are a formality. I wanted to feel like I was winning the World Series every time I rode with my brothers. I wanted to know that the men I was riding with took everything as seriously as I did from the way we looked, to what we wore to how we rode. I wanted to be with men who just didn't honor and respect the rules and traditions of an MC, but they lived by them. I wanted to be in the major leagues.

I'm not saying that if you're not an OMC you're not a real MC but let's not debate something: the OMC is the major leagues. It is the top of the biker food chain. Traditional clubs who follow and respect the rules and protocol and culture are Triple AAA (for those who don't know, that means you're good enough one day to be Majors and you're damn close but you're NOT the majors). In the majors you have everyone watching you and the expectations are higher and there are consequences for failure. There might be consequences in the minors but like in the majors, the consequences are major, good and bad and nothing else compares to those.

The second most common reason people decide to move up and I can personally identify with is, they have outgrown their club. There comes a time when a person has ran their course in a club and they want more, they want bigger, they want badder. You've tried to push your club to the highest point and they can't go any further for whatever reason. Because so many people are too scared to approach a Dominant they listen to the rumors and refuse to take that step. You're frustrated because the bike, the MC and the road have been your life at this point but for the members in your club it's just some pastime shit.   Please understand on the other side of the tracks it’s about riding your iron, being in a brotherhood, respecting the code and practicing it.  No one cares about the fish fry’s, car washes, bake sales, raffles and lastly yet another $30 ticket party. If you feel like you’ve out grown the mom and pop lifestyle and you want something more serious, there is nothing wrong with that. Truth be told, many have done the exact same before you.

So what does all this mean?

You’ve had it with your current club so what happens next?  Well, first and foremost you would need to drop your current club.  Remember, when leaving an MC, you have to leave in “Good Standing”.  This means dues/debts paid up and all property returned.  This includes all things that have the clubs logo on it: vests, t-shirts, socks, thongs whatever also to include all club documents and records.  If it has the clubs logo on it, which should be trademarked, it must go back. I even go so far to say give the riding name you were given back.  People tend to have a hard time with that but if you want to settle the debate go back to your by-laws. If the club is put together correctly then the by-laws should state what the protocol is for vest surrender and other merchandise deemed property of that club.

Next, get you an American made motorcycle. Do I really need to explain this? There’s been some debate about this but I want to lay it down now to make sure afterwards there’s no question. You cannot be an outlaw on anything but an American motorcycle. The go-to brand of course is Harley Davidson but certain clubs will make amendments for Indian’s, Victory and even Triumph though that’s becoming more and more unlikely as OMC’s are starting to crack down within their own ranks. The simple or not so simple reason for this is because Harley Davidson symbolizes not just a brand but a lifestyle. It’s a lifestyle that is rebellious, loud, in your face; in other words, American. You cannot be that on a Japanese bike. Hang on…let me rephrase to emphasize my point: YOU CANNOT BE IN A TRUE OUTLAW CLUB ON ANYTHING BUT AN AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE. Certain OMC’s have race divisions but even within that dynamic there are codes that separate the Harley riders and the Jap burners. Some call it divisions but if you look closely it is class division. Why? (and you see how this comes back full circle?-) YOU MUST OWN AN AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE.

No, okay moving on.  Before you make any decisions on where to go next do your homework! Remember this is a lifelong commitment. If you do your homework your first outlaw club should be your last stop. That’s not to make it sound dreadful or something dark or oblique but it’s the last stop as in it’s oblivion. That means it’s forever. You make a commitment to an outlaw club and it automatically becomes one of the top three most important things in your life along with your family and your job. Your MC is right up there and your family needs to understand that and support you and your job. Let’s just say a lot of those sick and personal days will be spent on the road or recovering at home from those long ass road trips and club business ’cause Outlaws do their business.

This isn’t the mom and pop world, you can’t be hopping around!

This blog is not a 101 to helping anyone make a decision to go outlaw. It may not even scrape the top of the cake but what it does do is begin the thought process or ends it. Remember some key points as well in thinking about going outlaw:
·           
Not all outlaw clubs are the same. You need to do your homework as much as you can before signing up with whatever club you go with. Some outlaw clubs live off their reputation and are okay with that. Some ride more than others. Some thug all day long. Make sure you know what you want in your outlaw club and make sure it lines up with the outlaw in you first.

·         Don’t believe the hype. Stop watching Gangland and A&E Outlaw biker episodes. Half of it ain’t true and the other half is bullshit the outlaws told the producers to make sure they never know the truth. Get out there and meet the people you want to call your brothers one day. You may find you may not want them in your family at all.

·         Talk to your significant other at length so she knows what you’re about to do ‘cause the biggest detriment to an outlaw isn’t the Po-Po, it’s the wife ‘cause her lack of support, her nagging and overall insecurities and need to compete with the club and your bike instead of trying to be a part of it can either drive an outlaw to do bad things or whup her ass.
·        
Oh by the way in case you were wondering and some of you were, women have never, will never, can never be outlaws. Let me make this as clear as possible. If you don't have a penis you cannot be an outlaw biker. We don't care how great a woman rides, how many dudes she's knocked out or shot; if you weren't born with a penis you cannot and will never be an Outlaw. Period. 
I did mention the American motorcycle, right?

so, now that we've got the basics covered I'm going the help make the decision for you if you're thinking about it: Don't do it! You ain't ready. Do you know what it's like to go to your boss and say you need two weeks off at work because you're going to do a mandatory ride with your brothers for 5,000 miles? How 'bout going home to your "other" boss and telling your wife that you're about to leave home for a week 'cause you're going riding with your brothers? Are you ready to ignore that feeling in your stomach that says don't walk into that bar because there's gonna be trouble but you gotta go because your colors don't forgive and they don't forget? Are you prepared for law enforcement to take pictures of you while you're just riding your motorcycle? Are you ready to be exposed to the primal aspects of life in general? Are you prepared to deal with men and women being equally attracted and repelled by you simply because of your rags?

Trust me, you ain't ready. 

But if for some reason you think you are. I wish you nothing but the best and good luck 'cause, honestly, you're gonna need it.  All clubs are different; don’t be in a rush, find the one that fits you.  Like the great Forest Gump once said “That’s all I have to say about that”.    

Oh yeah…stay Sucka Free, sucka’s!

Stormy Weather belongs to a 1% diamond club with chapters across the United States. His riding name has been changed and the name of his club with held as is the common practice with all contributions made by outlaw bikers to Sucka Free MC. 

20 comments:

  1. Great blog , but I must say never say never,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently moved from a traditional 3 patch mainly black club to an OMC. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It hurt me badly.couldn't eat Kimiir sleep for days. Almost changed my mind. It's scary to become part of something new. I'm sure now that I made the right decision. I feel at home with others who share a like mind. My sponsor is one solid dude and he also helped me with the transition. He explained fully what I wS getting into and the possible consequences and repercussions that could come if were to become a patch holder. Well I'm working towards becoming that patch holder and I'm enjoying it. It's challenging and sometimes you may need to turn of your moral compass and just handle what needs handled. I appreciate your blog. It's helped me understand many things. So until next time ride safe and always watch your 6
      Slim Outlaw

      Delete
    2. I recently moved from a traditional 3 patch mainly black club to an OMC. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It hurt me badly.couldn't eat Kimiir sleep for days. Almost changed my mind. It's scary to become part of something new. I'm sure now that I made the right decision. I feel at home with others who share a like mind. My sponsor is one solid dude and he also helped me with the transition. He explained fully what I wS getting into and the possible consequences and repercussions that could come if were to become a patch holder. Well I'm working towards becoming that patch holder and I'm enjoying it. It's challenging and sometimes you may need to turn of your moral compass and just handle what needs handled. I appreciate your blog. It's helped me understand many things. So until next time ride safe and always watch your 6
      Slim Outlaw

      Delete
  2. Man I appreciate the conversation because It felt like one. Great insight into the world which many wont entertain due to fear. The baseball analogy was on point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is blog is right on time and gives the proper insight to the mindset of an Outlaw biker. Being an Outlaw biker does separate the men from the boys when it comes to being in a SERIOUS Motorcycle (Male) Club. I can not look at co-ed mom and pop club and take them seriously, because I also have been there and started with a family club and I know the obstacles that face them. I know about the lack of discipline and being called too militant, I know the challenges that exist when you allow women to have voice in how the club functions and moves.
    You don't join an OMC for protection, you don't join it for the fame, you don't join it to skate by without repercussions. You join because it's in your heart and know that what you been doing ain't what you had envisioned yourself being apart of and the people around you don't think on the same level as you.
    The reasons mentioned here are the EXACT reason I moved up to play with the BIG BOYS! I have never been one to PLAY with something or do it half ass. Go big or go home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog love the comparisons between the minors and majors and Yanks and Red Sox. You put everything into simple ters great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir. Since the Outlaw who actually wrote the piece is not at liberty to respond take it from me when I assure you he is reading the comments and quite appreciative of your feedback.

      Delete
  5. BRAVO!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID.... TERM HWB N.Y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay this author said a mouthful. I totally agree with the "sucka mc" theology. I get it! I also agree that with any organization there are rules and protocol that should be adhered to. I get it. I may not agree that women will never be outlaws just because I'm all for women's equlaity, however, being this woman right here, I have no desire to be a part of this breed.

    Secondly, this part hits home for me. I think this is a huge discussion that couples need to discuss in great detail. Many of us don't know much about this lifestyle so just saying "I'm joining a motorcycle club", doesn't cut it. We need to know the "real". Give us an opportunity to decide if we want to stay involved with you or not. I know there is a difference between being a girldriend or a wife. I think at my age being a girlfriend is not staying a girlfriend. It's a future position of wife and the decisions today affect relationships of tomorrow. I feel that if my mate is considering doing this and I feel otherwise, I think he needs to decide which is more important - me, or living a deceitful, adulterous, wild, weed smoking, drinking, partying, fucking random disease infested bitches, gang banging, bullying, stealing, etc....lifestyle.

    Something else the author said was that this lifestyle comes in the top three priorities of life. Not gonna happen on my watch. There is this thing called priorities. He needs to take care of home first and foremost. Children could be involved and job security. The beef on these sets don't stop when the party is over at 2:30am. I don't want to have to worry about my safety or those around me because he got beef with some nigga over another bitch's pussy. Or territory or Property.

    I get all about compromise in a relationship and allowing a man to be a man and enjoy what men do, but when the decisions he makes affect his whole family something's gotta give. I would hope the love for his family would by far outweigh the love of his dick being hard because of the gang he is affiliated with, but I've learned otherwise.....

    The author also commented on the "brotherhood" bond. Bullshit. From what I've seen and been exposed to, this particular outlaw club was a bunch of back stabbing, low down dirty muthafuckas who anyone in their right mind wouldn't dare consider them a "brother". They are full of hatred and jealousy and ridiculous ass egos! Always competing with each other and trying to take the next man's shit! Worse than a group of catty ass bitches. There is no real love. I feel some guys go to these outlaw clubs to hide from the truth.....they are nobodies in the civilian world, probably been beat up on most of their lives and they hide behind that vest to make themselves feel important.

    I don't know the history of the set or much about outlaw. I know my experience dating one for two years. Enough was enough. Not my cup of tea nor the man I met when he wasn't an outlaw. Just a regular hard working father of two, black man. This outlaw person I could have lived without. My advice and I'm done. Just be yourself. Don't let anyone change you. No extracurricular affiliation nor a significant other. Just be you...remember the decisions you make today affect your tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'preciate your thoughts.

      Like the author stated not all clubs are the same and there will be members in any given club who don't live up to the principles detailed above. I feel that's a given so like we shouldn't romanticize the outlaw "good" we shouldn't generalize the outlaw "bad" either.

      We all make decisions that may impact our families and it's up to that man, not his woman, to decide whether or not he's moving forward with something that will make him happy and not compromise the family. Just like I don't believe a man should be allowed to make a decision for a woman on her body, a woman has no place in telling a man what to do especially in a decision like this. She may share her thoughts but I believe she shouldn't be mandating anything.

      Delete
  7. The lady above is further evidence that most people don't have a clue as to what the Outlaw life Is about. Being an outlaw in an OMC is about a way of life. It is a mindset that very few will ever understand. The author goes into the basics of being in a true OMC and then gives you reasons at the end as to why you are not ready to go on the path you think you are ready for. Are there loose women, drugs, alcohol, and parties around you when you are in an OMC, hell yeah but you also have all of those elements on Wall St. You are mad with the lifestyle your ex has decided for himself because either he lied to you about what it was he was going to be a part of or you lied to yourself about what you were willing to put up with. Don't take your anger out over on this side of the fence because you can't grasp the basics of this shit. Being in an OMC is not for everybody. There are the few that make it through and become fully patched members that probably don't belong there but they are the FEW. Trust and believe for every 1 member that you think is pussy and hiding behind their cut there are 40 of his brothers who are about that OMC life and wouldn't think twice about putting their foot up your ass. What the author is saying is not a blueprint but a little insight on what it takes to be a part of this lifestyle. Good read in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sing Sing here....heres my take. I totally agree with what this true dude is layin down. 100 %! Having said that i feel compelled to say that now -at least HERE IN NYC-with the tsunami of so many pop up "mc" clubs sportin backwear and shit I feel that alot of true dudes would rather fall back and chill on their own or with a select few homies than go the club route. Only because with the rising popularity of SOA, laffin Devils etc that NOW everyone and his kid sister is sportin backpacks(patches). Maybe we're entering a new era of the True Outlaw where the REAL 1%er is goin thru traffic as a SlickBack. Meaning NO identifying markers. I mean, as im gettin longer in the tooth im beginning to realize that "REAL" "Brothers" are FAR AND FEW IN BETWEEN. Here..let me repeat that.....REAL BROTHERS ARE FAR AND FEW IN BETWEEN. And thats a shame cuz i seen it firsthand how its all kool n da gang until a dispute or lil division spring up then all of a sudden ...WHAM..NO ONE calls u up to check up on u or see if your kids got a bite to eat or anything. The REAL ones here can see where Im going with this. I HOPE that there DOES EXIST vestiges of new generations of Bikers who actually do LIVE THE LIFE inside and out. Sadly, all i got as a point of reference in NYS..actually NYC. And what i see is kinda heart breaking to me. Just the other day Im ridin up 87 and i get on the other side of the highway to help an unknown stranded biker. Helping the old dude push his harley along the side of the highway i noticed a crotch rocketeer sporting three piece colors slow down, look at us curiously and speed away without so much as a thumbs up or thumbs down. Fuckin disgusting. but THATS where i see the scene is right now...at least here in NYC. So let me close by sayin that I LOVE this man's mindset and he speaks gospel on this.....just too bad that this particular region has already gone to the dawgs. The Man MAKES the patch, NOT the patch making the man. Also, let me throw this one thing in there....can we imagine HOW MUCH FUCKIN power and influence we would have- as a motorcycle community- if all the ego driven clubs put aside their petty overggrwon adolescent bickering and just solidified and consolidated as ONE STRONG VOICE.! Food for thought.
    Ridin with Christ!
    -SingSing

    ReplyDelete
  9. No man...im ridin lone wolf cuz i aint found the right crew worthy of me takin it in the gut for them. Reach out to me..

    ReplyDelete
  10. crazywhiteboy@email.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. 17 yrs in a omc an all-black one. Now if youre in the know you may recognize where im comin from. Im gonna add my two cents quickly.I have buried best friends lost my ol ladies from jealousy of the club. I have fought and did a thousand other nessasary things for my club.Jobs lost some good ones.
    This life is for Alpha males, men amongst men. Men who live by a code anf wont compromise thier morals or beliefs for anything. Its definetely for everyone. Dont be fooled by the glamour of it all because one day you may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrfice
    LL&R BB1%ER

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I read I feel tha pain of so many brothers that is my own I'm a real biker will ride my 2s til tha wheels fall off fix it n keep moving but its so many weekend warriors sporting a cut n a soa attitude that it makes me sick I'm nt in a omc nt because of fear but because I have a fam n can't take tha chance of my kids loosing there hero but in my heart I hear tha open road n am at peace when I ride n I am my brothers keeper

    ReplyDelete
  13. peace fam,
    I read your article and can appreciate your influence and direction. I'm a rider, a lonewolf if you may. I ride a sportbike (Jap). No excuses, that's what I ride. That's my horse of choice. Until the time presents itself to hop on a EBR or HD, that is what i will ride. My mindset on this way of life and passion of riding has not, will not, change. An MC? Of course i would love a fam. An OMC? damn, right. I eat, shit, sleep and breath bike life. Up until this point, this is all i know and care to know. I read your blogs to learn from and educate the culture. My love for bike culture is not a soul searching quest but a way for me to live the way I choose to. Ride or Die...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see the point there. I am in a coed club and have seen my share of problem females come and go. I also know some ladies I respect more and would rather fight with than some dudes I've known in omc's. That being said people thinking about getting into a club as well as current patch holders should read this blog.

    ReplyDelete