Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Biker Racism: The Jim Crow MC Nation Pt. II Those Racist Black Bastards


If I were an X-Men my mutant power would be my ability to be extremely comfortable in uncomfortable situations. It’s a quality I developed at a very young age that annoyed my parents to no end.  Because I do possess that quality it also allows me to write a blog that apparently makes a great many people uncomfortable yet doesn’t negatively affect my ability to not give a shit in the slightest.

So this week I’ve decided to launch my own Extinction Agenda (X-Men fans know what I'm referring to with that one) and bring up (for the second time) the very uncomfortable topic of race and racism within the biker community. This time however we’re going to take a race neutral approach when discussing race. I know what you’re thinking. How can anyone take a race agnostic position when they’re speaking about race because since that person has got to be a member of a race, neutrality is impossible...? In other words, "Preacha, you're black so how can you not speak from a black man's point of view?"

I'm about to flip the whole world on you right now.

Before I’m black I’m a biker.

I’m gonna say that again.

Before I’m black I’m a biker.

I have found that because so many black bikers cannot see past race they immediately come into the MC community as a Sucka MC and never achieve that premium level of legitimacy that is necessary for a club to be mentioned in the upper echelons of clubs. In other words, do you want to be a black club that's well known in your black backyard or do you want to be an MC that's known in the global MC backyard? I have to ask black (and white) MC's do you want to be the flounder fish in your little pond or would you rather be a shark in the ocean? I don't fuck with flounder fish. I eat them. The wall of racism borders both sides of the property line and that means black* bikers can't see past their own racism and their own racism and ignorance becomes their own form of slavery.

When I consider my club, who I ride with, who I drink with, who I call my brother, I’m not considering what color he is but rather, I’m looking at how he carries himself as a biker. I’m looking at whether or not he respects the traditions and protocols that bikers have followed since the days of the Boozefighters MC. I’m looking to see if this person has studied the rules of engagement within the community and respects them enough to see them through. I’m looking at the men he calls brother to see if they are truly a reflection of their brother or if their club has allowed sloppy members in (probably just to boost numbers). I’m looking at how they interact with women, especially Property because as a form of respect and knowledge, any biker who knows what to do and not to do with another bikers Property is a man I know I can have a drink with.I'm looking to see how they address me and how they expect to be addressed. I make note of  the patches on his rags and where they're placed and what they say. I notice that bottom rocker.

Notice in all that I never brought up the color of a person’s skin.

If you are truly a biker you shouldn’t be concerned with the color of a man’s skin because if that man (or woman) has subscribed to The Life with the passion and commitment that this Life demands, then we all should technically be on the same page regardless of color and to a degree, regardless of gender. I have met female bikers that not only I’d throw down shots of Jack with but in a fight, I’d rather have them by my side then some of these “men” out here.  I have been told numerous times that I’m hard on the sport bike riders and yes I know I make no secret of my disdain for Jap burners however I do not judge the people riding them.  Bikers have general society to hate us so I don’t understand how we could invite an additional layer of hatred within our own brotherhood to further segment the bond that should be there regardless of what style bike we ride and/or what color skin we were blessed to be born into.

Traditionally the image of the racist One Percent White brotherhood is the one that’s been tattooed into the collective brown brains of colored folks. The spider webbed elbow tats and the swastikas adorning rags flying side by side with the Confederate flag are those race triggering images that have conditioned people to believe a person is racist.

And for the most part in general society if you run into a person celebrating those symbols they are racists but the same doesn't hold true with bikers.  Many old school bikers wore the German symbol of death not as an allegiance to Hitler but rather to disgust and turn away polite society from approaching them. In other words, bikers were scorned by the general populace so instead of allowing their feelings to be hurt by it, they celebrated it instead. It’s the same mentality that gave birth to the idealism behind the 1 Percent patch and attitude.   

Admittedly it’s not something black people have picked up on except with the word nigga. Though the word has disappeared from my own vernacular, a lot of black people today justify using that word as a term of empowerment. Translation: they took it from white people and de-powered it because its become (for the person saying it in addressing another black person) a term of endearment. Again, not an ideology I agree with but it is what it is.

What blacks haven’t done for the most part is take racist symbols like the noose and the Confederate flag and owned those things like bikers have taken the swastika and the 1% title and made it their own.  What black people also have yet to get over is the image of the racist hulking white biker who wants nothing to do with black people. Too many black bikers are convinced that the typical white biker is a KKK member without the white sheets trading it in instead for a leather vest and a Harley Davidson tattoo.

I’m gonna have to call bullshit on that.

Not only is that not the truth (notice I didn’t say furthest from because in some cases it is) but those stereotypical bikers who look the part tend to be the nicest, most normal people you didn’t have a conversation with. The racist image of who bikers are is not only stupid but it also gets African American bikers hurt…and not the way you might be thinking.

For years I have preached to stubborn African American bikers that if you want to form your own MC and want to make it legit, you must go through the dominant 1% club in your area.** If that dominant club happens to be white, then you must go to the white boys. If that dominant club happens to be Hispanic, you gotta go to the brown boys. If that dominant club happens to be black, then you go to the black boys and while African American MC’s have no issue going to the black or Hispanic clubs (if they follow protocol at all which I find is unlikely but coupled with if they can get over the fear of meeting with a 1% club) they have a much harder time going to the white dominant club because “they don’t want to kiss no white boy’s ass”. The other one I hear a lot is “they don’t do shit for us so we ain’t doin’ shit for them”.

If you don't know your history (and let's face it, many of you don't) you actually don't know what those white boys did for you and in some cases, those white boys have done something for you. For example in New York twenty years ago, there was one dominant club and that club didn't allow anyone to fly any colors on the Island. They reinforced their rule with extreme violence. It wasn't until another set of unruly white boys came along and fought the war against that dominant club and won, did things change out on the Island. So when I hear black MC's say collectively, "Those white boys never did shit for me" I shake my head. A few years ago you wouldn't even have been allowed to fly your patch unless those white boys fought the war that you would've been too chicken shit to fight yourself. That's what those white boys did for you and now you're showing them the utmost disrespect by not going to their clubhouse and announcing your intentions to create your own club.

Put yourself in their shoes. You and your club fought the war to make your hood MC friendly and then you have all these pop up MC's who refuse to acknowledge you, your club and what you did to establish yourselves. You'd feel slighted and in some cases, you might even feel angry. 

So my question is when you start a new club why not just go to the dominant's club house just to say, "Hi." When you come into someone's house don't you greet them and show them respect as the host? That's essentially the same attitude you need to take when considering the dominant club in your area, regardless of their race. You are in THEIR house and they're allowing you to play in their backyard and just as easily as they allow you to play, they can take away that invite...with brute force. 

If you want the first thing those white boys do with you is to roll up on you and snatch your rags and tell you that you need to come see them, then by all means go ahead. You'll learn soon enough the hard way.  And, by the "hard way" I don’t mean they’re going to force you to read my blog either.

Going to the dominant club that happens to be white doesn’t mean they want you to kiss their ass. The dominant club isn’t looking at you like you’re the black club coming to see them. They don’t look at you like you’re the Asian club coming to see them. They’re looking at you like a respectful club giving respect and in turn they’re going to give you respect back.  By going to the dominant club to start your own club and getting sanctioned you’re letting them know you know and respect traditional protocol. By giving that level of respect, you’ll be surprised at how these racists, noose knitting, Aryan supremacists are quick to shake your hand and if you’re lucky, tell you that your money is no good at their bar.

There is a particular biker bar in New York where I used to frequent by myself.  It was one of the few remaining places where you could wear your rags without having to keep them on your bike. I’d make note of all the One Percenters hanging out there.  On any given night it looked like a RICO top ten most wanted list. They’d come in and you can imagine their reaction seeing one black guy drinking by himself not paying them any mind. I never gave them an inch and because of that they never tried to take a foot.  Eventually they saw I knew how to carry myself and I was respecting their traditions and all this without wearing rags ( I was independent at the time). They recognized and accepted me as a fellow biker.

What does that mean?

It meant they used biker jargon around me. It meant men could be men and when we had uncomfortable conversations everyone was actually comfortable because before we were white or black, we were all bikers and that kind of brotherhood goes beyond skin color. The last time I was at that bar, my wife and I were not allowed to reach into our pockets to pay for a thing.  My wife may very well have been one of the few black women on Facebook who had a FB profile with big , burly white One Percenters surrounding her singing to Al Green.  Because they all recognized her as my Old Lady they treated her like their sister…literally.

Am I pulling the wool over my eyes and saying all white bikers are just big ol’ teddy bears who would’ve marched with Martin Luther King Jr during the 60’s? C’mon, man I’m not stupid but what I am saying is don’t you be stupid and generalize them.  Generalizations tend to border that line of racism and we as bikers can’t afford the high cost of racism especially when there’s a current state of inflation in being a Sucka MC .
African American MC’s already are handicapped because like we do in our day to day lives, we have no interest nor drive in learning and respecting our history and our contributions to this world, MC and otherwise.

Unfortunately the same thing applies to the MC community.

Because not enough of us have taken the time to study and appreciate the Bessie Stringfields, the Tobie Gene Livingston’s and the Sugar Bears of the MC community we don’t act accordingly. How could you ride disrespectfully if you knew what Tobie had to go through to launch the East Bay Dragons? How as a female could you choose to enter the MC community with your legs wide open instead of your helmet tightly on if you understood what Bessie Stringfield had to go through traveling across this country as a black woman alone on a Harley before integration?  We bring our own inability to improve ourselves with a racist profiling set of eyes that hampers our MC’s from being legit. Again, being legit means getting sanctioned by the dominant 1% group of your bottom rocker. If you’re serious about being a biker then you see life through a bikers eyes in everything you do and say and that includes the people you call your brother.

If you see someone on a motorcycle as a cracker, nigger, spic or slope then what you are is a racist bastard and not a biker at all.

Stay Sucka MC Free, y'all

Preacha 

*The primary focal point of racism discussed in this blog is black bikers towards white bikers but please make note it goes both ways. I've discussed white racism in the biker community in a previous blog and what I've concluded in both blogs is that racism is stupidity unfortunately crosses racial lines all too frequently. 

**Years ago when I had planned on starting my own club, I was intent on not only going to the dominant 1 Percent club who happened to be white but also the African American club that had been the longest riding MC in the NY circuit. I wanted to make sure I had "both" sides of the track covered. I highly recommend new bike clubs to follow that pattern to ensure they are being respectful to all the Biker Lords who should be given that respect. 

10 comments:

  1. Once again you say things in your article I like and things I do not Like. I will focus on what I feel is the heart of this Story and that is Biker Unity.

    With a Government and Law Enforcement trying to find ways to take down all Motorcycle Clubs and ban Motorcycling , I wonder how many times and Different ways can we keep Dividing each other in the Motorcycle World? Riding a Motorcycle is enjoyable mostly (I feel anyway) because of that feeling of Freedom we get from riding. As We keep losing our Rights and Freedoms to Ride because of all these Divisions. We are basically allowing those in Power to take our Right to Ride away.

    When We are all standing around in the future a Bunch of Bike less Bikers at a Bar talking about how we used to Ride Motorcycles before the Government took away our right to ride, How much are you going to really care what type of Bike the person next to you used to ride?

    I have had a saying for many years' If you Like to Ride Motorcycles and Drink Beer there is a strong foundation there for a great Friendship / Brotherhood ! What I mean by that is pretty simple, I enjoy Riding Motorcycles during the day and Kicking back Drinking a few beers at Night. If you enjoy this too I am not going to turn away the Possibility of a great Friendship/Brotherhood because of the Style of Motorcycle you Ride, Your Religion or the Color of your Skin. Of Course even though you like to Ride Motorcycles and Drink Beers does not mean you are not an asshole, its just means I will find out and Judge for myself.

    I have been Fighting for Biker Rights for about 20 years now and as I get older I am beginning to feel the Fool, I believe in a Biker Brotherhood of Men where all who Ride Respect each other and are there to help and look after each other. When I see continuous Divisions that keep growing in the Biker World, I can not help but Wonder am I fighting for something that only exists in my mind?

    I am a White Boy But I too am a Biker First ! I am from Long Island NY and I am very proud of the Unity I have seen over the years between all Styles of Bikers! We have come along way and still have further to go but we are proceeding forward and as Long as you always keep going forward you will make it to your goal sooner or later !

    When I dream, I dream of a Biker Utopia of True Biker Brotherhood!

    I am Your Bro LJ James

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was another good read. As you know I don't always agree with what you say, however, I am always here. I can appreciate a lot of what you have to say and I am also enjoying the responses you evoke from people like LJ James. This enables your readers a different prospective on what you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow that posted as a reply to LJ James but it was supposed to be my comment .... sorry. Reposting lets see if it goes through correctly ...

    This was another good read. As you know I don't always agree with what you say, however, I am always here. I can appreciate a lot of what you have to say and I am also enjoying the responses you evoke from people like LJ James. This enables your readers a different prospective on what you have written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y"know because I've taken the time to share the knowledge I know people have automatically labeled me a teacher of sorts and tht's fine but I'm always trying to learn more as well. The only way that can happen is if people read AND share their comments. We don't have to agree but in disagreements we can learn from one another. That's what I'm really interested in.

      You and LJ have the maturity and poise to state your opinions and back them up. I enjoy that a whole lot.

      Thank you

      Delete
  4. WOW! This is what I feel as I speak to clubs on the set. People say keeping it real but they have the courage of a mouse going into a snake pit. They mask the fear with weak excuses.
    As people we hold ourselves back from advancement when we fail to acknowledge the differences in others. Too many people lack vision, courage and faith. Tgis lead to nongrow in family, clubs,community,employment etc.
    Continue to share and I promise to continue to ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things MC stands for is Man's Club and while some of us take that to mean the club is only for men, it also implies you handle your business like a man.

      Ignorance and racism are tools of a bitch and I mean bitch in the most negative way it can be taken free of gender. Clubs who are afraid of going to the dominant should understand that they're essentially riding clubs and don't deserve the honor of being called an MC.

      I'm starting to understand that with knowledge comes the responsibility of doing the right thing with that knowledge. Most people even after knowing what to do can't handle it so they function in bullshit 'cause essentially, they and their organizations are bullshit.

      Respect your 1% club. Respect your local dominant and you'll get that respect back. Anything short of that and you're pure bullshit.

      Delete
  5. Can't argue with your passion or your expertise on the topic so I won't even try. But as a melanin rich, immigrant Sista, (that's 3 strikes against me!)-- I know a thing or two about racism. I get us empowering ourselves as a people but I cannot subscribe to the "taking back our power by calling each other nigga or nigger" mentality. To me it doesn't matter whether one spells it or enunciate with an "a" or "er" at the end. Turning a negative word into a positive to me is an oxymoron but that's a whole "nuther" topic for another time!

    What I do understand is taking others negativity and spurning it into positives. Taking others myopic assumptions of us and throwing it back at them with a razor-sharp, shiny new outlook that cuts their ignorance into tiny bits. My mom always used this old wife's adage when I was a little girl.."you can hold more flies with honey than with vinegar," so I get what you are trying to preach about turning the other cheek, so to speak. Reaching out and rising above the historical garbage in the MC world.

    But it may be hard for us as a people to smoothly transition to this sort of thinking. Old hurts die hard and can cling so tightly as to become like a suit of armor. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, that suit of armor can be detrimental to our advancement.

    Race may always be an issue in our lifetime for the powers that be want to maintain the status quo. after-all, power is highly addictive and profitable too. The political climate of any country affects the general citizenry and bikers are part of that landscape, albeit on a more microscopic scale.

    As I said it is hard to let go of old wounds, especially when you can still see the scars to remind you but I am impressed at how you have evolved as a Black man maneuvering in your worlds. It takes skill and fortitude to reach that level as a man "of color" in America.

    Some say we should stop playing the race card. Little do they know that we have forgiven and moved on for if we didn't, this country would have been painted red a long time ago. Whenever people
    use that line, I always use one of yours, which i absolutely love.."I'll put away the race card when American stamps an expiration date on its racism." I've tweaked it a wee bit but I know you recognize your quote. ((:

    Keep teaching Preacha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared this weeks blog with you, Ronnie for a very specific reason. As a cager (someone who drives a car) you obviously aren't coming at it from a bikers point of view, but as an educated woman of color you brought exactly what I was counting on.

      Colored people who continue to use race as the gun, the bullet and the shooter in their self inflicted spiritual and physical wounds don't realize the white man has very little to do with their current state of enslavement..it's entirely on themselves.

      In the MC community I do believe that race is used negatively by ourselves to eliminate the weight of responsibility and action. Granted there is MUCH racism on the other side as well and I'm not denying that however I am more concerned with my own people "doing right" and "moving right" because in doing so, we all become that much more powerful.

      Delete
  6. Hey Preacha, good article, good in theory and I agree with...well some of it! lol It finally happened....you wrote something that I took issue with! lmao (still love you though) Granted we have had a little bit of this conversation over the phone but I got a lot more of your sentiment here. Listen, here is my disclaimer: of course we should all be following protocol and giving respect to and paying homage to the Dominate whatever their race.... and we should all just get along and love each other under the common bond of the love of the ride. Of course we absolutely should judge each other based on the content of our hearts and character(and how much ground you pounding on dem 2s lol). Ok with that said, THE REASON WE CANT SEE PAST RACE IS CAUSE IT IS PUSHED IN OUR FACE EVERYDAY ALL DAY IN THIS CULTURE THAT WE LOVE THAT WHITE DIAMOND CLUBS WILL PUT A FULL PATCH ON ASIANS, HISPANICS, AND NATIVE AMERICANS BUT BLACKS MEN IN 2012 STILL NEED NOT APPLY. SO PASS ME WITH THE KUM BY YAH MOMENT!!! (I'm ok lol) ...and not that I beleive that you want to be a patched member of any white diamond but just in case you did YOU CANT! Its good you are practicing Kujichagulia and defining yourself and not letting others do it for you. But come'on son you know as well as I do that you ain't fully ever gonna be their Brother. Case in point, you remember that one club who threantend to kill the Canadian the US wearing that patch he was a dead man. And I am assuming you are talking about the area we are from where you have had your "ocean experiences" cause I have traveled to Europe and trust them outlaw "bikies" over there see a Black Man coming near them on 2s or otherwise, it won't be a pretty scene. I saw the WL in action and They DO NOT DEAL WITH BLACKS FOR ANY REASON. So I completely get the reverse racism thing that goes on within black bikers. We good enough to drink with, and eat with and chop it up with; we even good enough to go under you as a support club to do your bidding in the Black community but we ain't good enough to wear the same patch that truly makes yall brothers???!!? Again pass me with it! Now I have to admit, I am truly predisposed in my thinking, having grown up in a family of Pan Africans, Black Nationalists, BLA soldiers and NOI members! lol It is engrained in me that the true nature of humans causes them to look out for their own kind first and foremost, and these humans will kill to preserve what they feel is "their identity". There is a teaching that my grandfather drilled in us and it was "accept your own and be yourself". I have seen this practiced all my biker life with few exceptions. You and I both know that the big 4 in the diamond world will not allow Blacks amongst their ranks but thats the culture of this white dimond clubs and because we love it, we accept it and make it do what it do. Eagerly awaiting your next blog.

    Your sister
    Bryte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryte, you are right in many of your ugly points above. I cannot deny that. In MY experiences with white bikers who belong to those communal racist groups they've all universally voiced the same thing to me..."Oh yeah, racism definitely is there but it's all with the older guys who want to hold onto those traditions. The younger guys don't believe in that shit but we're not prepared to sponsor a black guy in the club either."

      Finally a case where tradition actually does suck.

      That's good and bad. The bad is that the chicken shit cowardice that I see on the black side is on the white side too for sure but the good thing is that it will change. I have had drinks with many "racist" bikers and I'm sure it's only because I haven't bumped into "that one" just yet, that I can say I have never met a nigger uttering Aryan who has given me pause. We've had conversations where they've used the N word unapologetically but I returned it in kind with peckerwood (they hate that 'cause it speaks to the small penis syndrome) but with all 1 Percenters, you give them the same level of respect or disrespect they give you, and they'll grudingly respect you for it.

      Bryte, I'm not an advocate of black support groups of MC's who won't allow for a black member. I have said as much before in my blogs. HOWEVER regardless of what color that dominant MC is, respect is due and as long as I'm part of any MC, that respect to the dominant must happen. If we present ourselves as men...no...BIKERS WHO HONOR, RESPECT AND FOLLOW TRADITIONAL PROTOCOL then we'll be moving in the right direction.

      Thanks for commenting, Bryte. Responses like yours give me the energy to blog again.

      Your brother,
      Preacha

      Delete