Monday, April 30, 2012

Those People

Sucka Free MC is proud to have 
Bandit, President Founder Ryders Don’t Play MC as this weeks guest columnist

I wanted to make the circuit aware of a situation that’s proven to be incredibly frustrating for me as Founder of Ryders Don’t Play MC out of Long Island, NY.

The club has been searching and reaching out to commercial realtors for months to start-up a respectable business that would generate income for both our club and our respective families. Not unlike many clubs, our vision is to lease a property large enough to accommodate a business that can financially rewarding and at the same time provide enough real estate space for club members to store and work on their bikes.
That’s a very fancy way of saying we want a functional club house.

Unfortunately the task has not been easy and the issue has nothing to do with location. The business ideas that we have to generate revenue within the facility haven’t been an issue either. It's when these commercial realtor's or property managers find out that I'm part of a "motorcycle Club" are all bets off. They do not want to conduct business with any sort of "Biker’s" or clubs because of mass media perception of what bikers do and who they are.

To quote one of the people in question: "Running a shop is not a problem at all but if you are part of a motorcycle club then our commercial associations will not associate themselves with those types of people. We are sorry for the inconvenience even though we have biker friends."

“Those types of people…”

To that comment I ask, “What are we a disease?!” Are we scum’s of the earth or some new generation black plague and you, your neighbors and your commercial associations will die if you come into contact with us? ” Or is he referring to those types of people who have fought for human rights, have served and protected this community he lives in? Maybe he’s referring to those types of people who have left their families to fight in a war so he can live a life of freedom. No, wait. Maybe he’s actually referring to the doctor who gets up in the middle of the night to work an overnight shift at the hospital and in his off time rides a motorcycle?

Those type of people?

Obviously it doesn't matter that I'm a hardworking citizen and that members in my club are also hard working individuals and that we all have a families to provide for.

It’s ironic therefore that these high society people or persons are willing to accept our help when in need or crisis. It's essential for our so called "motorcycle club" to raise funds among other things but when it comes to actually dealing with us they don't want any part of us. Sonny Barger has a famous quote that speaks volumes to this:

“The good we do no one remembers but the bad is forever.”

I'm beyond frustrated and disgusted and wanted to make sure to share with the circuit what's going on with the hypocrisy in our very own community.So what exactly is this imbecile saying to me? Without using any Jedi mind tricks I can tell you off the cuff what’s running through their heads when they look at me:

"This man is part of a motorcycle club!" What would make them come to this assumption? Is it my tattoos all over my arms or maybe it’s the one that’s tatted on the back of my head? Could it be the stainless steel biker rings I wear or is it the way I talk? I can tell you it's definitely not the way I talk because I hadn't even opened my mouth when I had one gentleman say to me "You should have told me over the phone that you are part of a motorcycle club."

What the hell does that mean?

Should I have told him that I’m Latino or that I’m married? I have an idea. I’ll create my own Playboy spread with my picture and a list of my likes and dislikes that’ll include the fact that I like long walks on the beach, the kind of foods I eat and most importantly what side of the bed I sleep on. I’m being accused of a crime and that crime is being a biker!

What the hell is this world coming to? (That was a rhetorical question. I actually don’t expect an answer on that).

Now I am going to use my Jedi mind tricks and say I know what you’re thinking so I’ll answer your question even before you ask: No, I didn’t go there with my club colors; I went in my uniform from work. I’d like to think it wasn’t my race that was the concern for him or maybe he didn’t like my work clothes.

If this man only knew how many clubs out there have business/clubhouses and done more for their respective communities than the damn government of the United States he’d pay a real MC to actually move in and set up shop. When motorcycle clubs do things for the community there is no fine print. There are no conditions. Bikers live in a black and white world where there’s right and wrong but society using that black and white lens paints us in the black as villains no matter what we do or say.

Like any sincere people, when biker’s do things we do it from the kindness of our hearts and a real place. We do those turkey runs for Thanksgiving to ensure the less fortunate have something to eat. Biker Toy Runs are legendary and responsible for making sure thousands (if not more) of children aren’t left without a toy for the holidays when their parents may not be able to afford them. I even felt like telling this man that when your insurance or Medicaid denies your family for a surgery, we’re those people who come out rain or shine and help raise that money for you.

Yes...those people.

So I want to declare that I’m proud to be a citizen of those people nation. I’m proud to be part of a community who gives freely and asks for nothing in return. I’m proud to a biker.

Next time a biker comes knocking on your door to conduct business doesn’t be so quick to close the door. Invite him in and take it for what it is and not what he is because you might end up just liking those people.

Yes...those people. 

Love and Respect
Bandit
Founder of
Ryders Don’t Play MC

8 comments:

  1. There will always be those who look down on Bikers and Motorcycle Clubs, Lets face it there are many who love play off the biker bad boy image. There are Places that will welcome a Motorcycle Club they are just not always in the best areas and as you would like to have a Business that is warm and inviting those places will not work.

    As a person who was once in an MC that had a Clubhouse I spoke to Neighbors after we had gotten to know them and they had even told me when they first heard a Motorcycle Club was looking to open up by them they did not want it, But after getting to know us they where happy we where there. Did it have anything to do with Problems like break ins and people Stealing gas from Company vehicles ending? I am sure it did. But Mostly it had to do with us getting to know them and them getting to know us.

    It is an on going battle of education that may never end. There are always going to be MCs that portray a Negative image and every time a member of an MC is Accused of a Crime it makes the News and papers, No one ever hears about how 90 percent of the Crimes the MC members are accused of are later found to be unfounded but people remember all the negativity of the original article of accusations.

    I have said it many times before and I will say it again, It is the job of every biker with a true Bikers heart to at least attempt to teach the next generation of Motorcycle riders what Brotherhood and Biker Unity truly is ! If we leave it to shows like and SOA and Movies like Hell Ride we are in Big trouble. I think we have come a really long way here on Long Island in the Unity area!

    I would Suggest talking to some of the MCs who already have Clubhouses and see if they can help you out with finding a place!

    Get Article Bandit and I am always proud to call you Bro !!! -LJ James

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, X thanks for blessing the page with your words. You being on here makes this blog "legit".

    The reason why I especially like Bandit's piece is that it made me think. Sucka Free is at its core about making bikers think and challenge themselves and their MC's to be better. So I started reaching out to people with club houses and those struggling to get one and it's led to some very interesting discussions and revelations.

    In the next few weeks I'm working to secure a major interview with a premiere and highly respected business mind to share his thoughts on Sucka Free about how MC's can go about securing a club house on their own.

    Very good stuff.

    Thanks again, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well if any clubs in the Dallas area need any Real Estate help my Wife is a Broker and will make damn sure they get what they want. 469_424_3042

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what's up. Thanks for that, Hakim.

    ReplyDelete