Monday, June 11, 2012

"Is The Passion Worth The Risk?"


"Is The Passion Worth The Risk?"
Written by: Lala
Independent Rider


If you are an intelligent human being, you should know better than to just leap into the bike game without fully researching the ins and outs of what it takes to becoming a REAL motorcycle rider. Before my definition gets completely misconstrued, my definition of a "REAL" motorcycle rider is one who actually pulls his/her machines out more than just three times a year or sits on his or her bike in the backyard washing it more than actually riding it. With all due respect and with the utmost sincerity, I, of course am not here to judge if you are a real rider based on how you ride. It is your prerogative whether you ride in the rain or not, if you speed or cruise, or even if you white line or wait for traffic. At the end of the day, how you ride, is just that, how YOU ride! Learn it, Live it, enjoy it – LOVE IT!


Having said that look at me, talking that "talk" after being a motorcycle rider for only about three years. To be fair when it was my time to investigate the game prior to me riding, I was told one fundamental factor by a veteran: "There are two types of riders in this world La – The ones that fell and the ones that are going to fall. Are you ready for this?"


What could have possibly been my response to that question at the time? How many thousands of different questions could have been running through my mind to remotely begin to comprehend what I was getting myself into? So what did I do? I decided to undertake the goal regardless! I felt if I did not try, I would have been a failure to myself automatically. If I did try but failed then at least it would have been known that I lived my life unafraid to 'actually live' and not just exist. 

To make a long story a bit longer lets get to the reality of the riding game! Right now it's May 22, 2012 and boy do I know what it is to take falls. I experienced first-hand what the veteran told me three years ago about how we are all going to go down at one point or another. Going through two major highway falls, two street falls, and one fall attempting to do a wheelie, I surely know what it means to go down. I know what the impact of the body hitting the concrete feels like when you plunge on the "shit" at high and/or low speeds. Riding a motorcycle is not for everyone! So I will say this: It takes a great deal of heart and ardor to do this and I mean actually do it without the vanity of it all ("Oh that is so cool, a motorcycle rider"). If you do it, do it because you genuinely love it! In my opinion, vanity reasons are not worth the risk.


Nonetheless, I obviously will not sit here and only talk about the love of the ride. How could I? I am currently writing this narrative with a sling on my right arm, a body full of bumps and bruises, a hurt rib, and a fractured ankle. It was just last week that I took another bad fall where a car stopped short in front of me. Without enough space to go left or right, I rammed right into a car’s side headlight. Ouch! The craziest part, I was barely traveling about 50-60mph at the time. In May 2010, the first time I ever "opened up" on my motorcycle on an upstate NY freeway (roughly 135mph) when I took my first big fall. I broke my collarbone, wrist, and elbow, bruised my ankle and ribs; and last but not least, doctors informed me I had a liver laceration. Basically, I was hospitalized for over a week with uncontrollable pain and had to have surgery on my right wrist. The incident itself occurred because riding at those high speeds, you cannot ALWAYS anticipate when someone will stop short immediately in front of you. But of course, without enough space to swerve left or right to another lane or enough room to quick-brake, I rammed right into them. When I essentially hit the concrete, it completely knocked the air out of my lungs and I was unable to stop screaming even when I had tried. My body felt so stiff and my ribs felt so sunken in. Simply put I was in so much pain yet was so breathless - truly an unexplainable feeling. At that moment, the adrenaline is so extreme, some riders tend to jump right back up out from the shock of it all (if they are not as severely hurt) but in this one accident I could not move whatsoever. I was actually advised to stay extremely still to not injure myself even further. The other riders came, the police came, and finally the ambulance. I blacked out on the way to the hospital. Truth be told, it is and has been a very painful and memorable experience for me overall! With all this being said, for purposes of fact and clarity, yes, this incident was MY fault – I take full responsibility for this occurrence. Making mistakes as a rider is something that does come with the territory of learning to ride at any level.


Now, with roughly three years of experience under my belt, can I sit here and complain about what has happened to me? Absolutely not! Do I regret the situations that have happened to me? No I cannot. It has already occurred! I made these choices myself! It is nothing I can do now to seize back those accidents but to learn from them, practice and pray to be more cautious and aware of future dangerous situations! People may ask but why do you continue riding? - Truthfully? Because God has blessed me to still be here to enjoy the one thing that gives me the greatest happiness in the world -riding my motorcycle! It is my passion! 

The reality check is this ladies and gentlemen: We are not untouchable! We are not invisible and we are surely not the safest riders. Some may ride extremely cautious. Others may ride with more zest AKA speeding and/or stunting and although the game is becoming less underground and more universal/popular/commercial, we are on our own bikes at our own risks with our own mindsets. No one could ride the bike for you if you yourself are a rider as dumb and simplistic as that sounds. You are responsible for your own ride!


Did it take those falls for me to quit, No! Is there still a fear when I hop on that bike? Yes, honestly at times it is. I am more aware of the dangers that come with the territory of riding.   After my falls, I would ‘for damn sure think so’. Motorcycle riding is something I have been blessed to experience, love, enjoy, and cherish! I personally appreciate the ride.


In any case, I know now what it is to be a true rider. I have experienced the great, the good, the bad, and the awful. In my current physical and mental painful state, I cannot wait to get back on my bike and feel the breeze as I ride through the city or country roads. It is a passion of mine as I have stated previously, however, that is just ME! You? Well you can read about the motorcycle riding through my eyes and others or you could find out or have found out for yourself if the bike game is for you or is not. 
With sincerity, love, and respect, I pray we all ride safe and the angels above us protect us on those twos and in everyday life situations. For all our fallen soldiers, may you Rest in Peace and be respected and never forgotten.


Yours Truly - Two Wheel Love,
Lala

7 comments:

  1. Great piece LaLa, it takes great courage to experience what you have and continue to ride. Many may take for gran it the resposibility of riding and what you do on 2's. And you demostrate women qualities by accepting yours. Hats off 1luv. Sincere

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passion is what keeps us going, no matter the risks. Thank you for sharing. Only real riders can respect, relate and learn from your words. Stay safe and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it's definitly worth the risk. I learne to ride a bike at age eleven. And fell Inlive with it since!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I start let's see. If I we say it's not worth the risk then why you riding, I we say yes it's worth the risk it can be interpreted as your a selfish person motorcycles are dangerous and your only thinking about yourself and not your family. I just thought about this tonigh because I just went down on my bike tonight. Thank God he is letting me write this. I just want to say ladies and gents please be carefull don't try to fly ahead of your guardian angle. We all have hobbies and things we like to do riding is out choice so let be safe. I went down tonight because of some damn dumb ass cab driver he decided to make a uturn hears me coming and stops in the middle of the road. Thank God I wasn't speeding or else I wouldn't be writing this. Fellas n ladies please becarefull to many have passed already. We have dumb drivers out their that decide to do stupid stuff and here we go bang right into them. Please I say again be safe... And to answer is the risk worth it il say yes because I love what I do!!

    Be safe all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting that in LaLa's piece that no one has challenged her on the way she rides. I certainly do think the Passion is worth the risk but what about when we make the passion even riskier by how we ride?

      Delete
  5. I'll be more than happy to bring up the point that perhaps three years isn't long enough for the author to learn to be far more cautious on a bike than in her car.....she seems to keep rear ending cars! Leave a bit of room between yourself and the car ahead...even while your driving your car. I'm happy to hear you take full responsibility for your actions which resulted in your first accident but then again it wouldn't matter if you didn't....you were going 135mph.....we can all figure out who is responsible without your admission:)

    Hope the next three years are safer for you than the last three:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've spoken to the author of this piece several times about her safety protocols or lack thereof and unfortunately, those discussions have thus far gone unheeded. She remains a friend of this blog and this author personally and we hope that she does take her riding and safety seriously enough to see many more riding seasons to come.

      Delete